There are two reasons for this section of Life and Motherhood. The first is so that five, ten, twenty years from now when my boys ask, "How did you do it?" I'll have some sort of an answer. I fear that due to lack of sleep and the non stop nature of parenting triplets plus one, I may not retain anything from these years unless I write it down! Or I'll just give the simplest answer which is, "I kept wine in my purse". I'm kidding of course, although Chris and I do now refer to wine as the "Bottle of Sanity".
"Would you like a glass of sanity?" he'll ask at the end of the day
"Why yes I would", I'll respond, with babies hanging off every limb and a two year old crawling on my back.
"Yes I would"
My second reason goes back to when we found out that we were expecting triplets. When the shock started to subside a bit, I began to seriously wonder, "How do people do this??" "How WILL we manage?" "Will I ever sleep again?" I scoured the internet for information and grilled friends with multiples to see how others had made it work.
So here I'll list any posts that have to do with how we're managing this adventure. What's working, what's not, and products that we've found especially helpful.
Of course, this is just our families experience and we know that every family, every child, and every situation is different. Strategies that worked for us may not work for others. Products that we've fallen in love with, other's may not care for. In no way am I suggesting that how we've managed is the best way or the only way to go about parenting a gaggle of kids. It's just our experience and if it's helpful to anyone else, particularly those expecting multiples, than that makes us happy!
So here's our experience....
Along the way:
One week home
First few weeks, what's working?
How you can and can't prepare for life with triplets
4 months- part 1
5 months- What's working, part 1
5 months. What's working, part 2
6 months- How are we managing?
7 months- What's working?
8 months- What's working?
9 months- What's working?
Cloth Diapering Triplets (plus two)
Posts about breastfeeding:
Posts where I talk about sleep, or lack thereof :
Nap Saga re-visited
The first few weeks- what's working?
Will I ever sleep again?
The quiet of the night
It's all fun and games...
Teething season may be upon us
5 months- what's working?
A new chapter
6 months what's working
Dear Angel Lovies
8 months- what's working?
Products We Love:
- Fisher Price Rock and Play Bassinets
- Puj tub- used during the newborn phase. We loved this product! Written about in this post.
- Bathtub safety seat- As stated in this post, we used this product for a long time, probably about six months too long- haha. I think Chris would agree that we'd moderately endorse these. The latches broke easily which was annoying but at the same time we can't complain too much because we got good use out of them.
- Angel Dear Blankies
- Dr Browns bottles
- Valco Stroller with attachments
- Slings- Moby and Ergo are our favorites!! Talked about here.
- Bouncy seats- In our opinion, the simpler the better. I prefer the ones without all the bells and whistles. We used bouncy seats as an easy way to prop and feed the babies when we didn't have a free hand, until they were about 9 months.
- Swaddling blankets, like these. Oh so soft!!!
- Step 2 Choo Choo Wagon- What to even say about this... ummm couldn't live without it?? I'd put the choo choo wagon in the must have category for our family. It has been critical in terms of getting out of the house with our boys. Find one used if you can because they are kind of pricey. I think ours had already been through two families but it works great. It fits in the back of our Honda Odyssey but it doesn't collapse so it takes up most of the room in the back of the mini van. We've used it for local walks and day trips, like to the zoo. But beware, it will garner attention!