Friday, July 23, 2010

Sleep, I remember you so fondly....

What has gotten into my good sleeper?!

Since only 4 weeks, my little angel has slept through the night. 10 p.m-4 a.m, and then at 4, he'd come into bed with us, I'd nurse him and he'd easily fall back asleep and sleep until around 8 or 9. It was rare that we didn't get 8 hours.

More recently, he was going to bed at 8 p.m like clockwork. We'd simply place him in his crib, turn on his music box and he'd wave goodbye. He'd get up fairly early but we wouldn't hear a peep from him all night. Then, he'd nap mid day 2-3 hours.

My mother would always comment, "I just can't get over what a good sleeper he is! You don't know how lucky you are!"

And we were always like, "What? All babies don't sleep like this?"

Then, we went on vacation.

And the awesome sleep schedule went to hell.

We can't seem to get him back in his old routine.

He stays up late, as if he's also interested in watching "Top Chef" or "The Bachelorette." Try and put him down and he screams.

He awakens multiple times a night, and hasn't napped longer than an hour at a time, if that.

Last night when he awoke at around 1:00 a.m. we brought c into bed with us. I know, I know... probably putting fuel on the fire.... but we were exhausted and the fact is that he'll usually sleep soundly if he's in bed with us.

But here's the thing. He wasn't sharing bed with us last night. No, no, no. We were in HIS bed. Little c was spread out ( how a 22 lb person can manage to take up a whole bed, I'm not sure), and Chris and I were on the very edges of the bed, not daring to move for fear of waking him.

And actually, sleeping on the two inch periphery of the bed might easily be worth it if he slept the whole night through. But he didn't. He was up at 2,3,4,5..... At one point, he even sat up and pointed to play with one of his toys. Are you kidding me, little man?! There's no playing with toys in the middle of the night!

Maybe he's getting more teeth, I don't know....

All I know is that I hope a two week vacation, where we were all lax about bed time, nap time etc, didn't alter the awesome sleep schedule forever.

Tell me this isn't forever....


No comments: