Thursday, September 19, 2013

Back to work, kind of


Another week has flown by and I suddenly realize it's Thursday and I haven't blogged anything all week! It's okay, I know.... but I really enjoy documenting our days. And writing somehow centers me at the end of a busy day. The only problem is that this week has felt more like one continuous busy day instead of separate days!

Anyway, the biggest news of our week is that I started work yesterday! I'm only going to be working one day a week which may sound like no big deal, but it felt like a big deal to me. It's been almost three years since I've worked as an OT in any capacity and truthfully, it's been since before I had kids that I seriously worked (as in more than just a few hours on a Saturday morning). 

Although I missed the boys, especially Owen who I haven't yet been apart from for more than a short errand or quick workout, it was great to be back doing something that I used to love. But it was weird... kind of like stepping back into my "pre-kids life". 

I drove to work alone, in a completely quiet car, while occasionally sipping my coffee and listening to NPR. So strange! While at work, I set up my computer without worry that someone would yank out the cord or try and press the keys, reviewed charts, chatted with other therapists, ate my lunch with other adults, none of which were stealing bites of my food, throwing food, or yelling, "MORE ___ MOMMY!!!" 

I just have a couple of clients so far, but it was nice, really nice to work with families again. I could almost feel parts of my brain that I haven't used in a while, lighting up again. I felt challenged in a way that I haven't for a while. 

Then I'd think about what the kids might be doing at home and miss them. Since I've been a stay at home mom the past 4.5 years, I'm not used to being away from them for a whole day. I knew they were in excellent hands though!

In other news, Colin was so cute tonight while I was making dinner. Owen was on the floor watching me but getting somewhat impatient. Then all on his own Colin went over and entertained him for 20 minutes while I finished getting dinner ready. 

I was so grateful!







Yup, still in their pjs at 5 pm! Some days are like that around here. We're totally cool with it :)

No comments: