Friday, February 17, 2012

Happy Valentines Day!


Yes, I realize that technically Valentines Day was Tuesday, but the day was barely acknowledged amongst all the other "stuff" going on. The babies had an appointment early in the morning, Colin and I tried a new place space late morning (this one, it was super fun!) and the rest of the day seemed to unfold at lightning speed, me barely keeping up.

At some point I was able to sneak out to Walgreen's to get Chris a valentines day card but the car aisle was PACKED. Swarms of husbands, wives and the like were gathered around picking up cards, looking them over and putting them back. All I could think about were all the germs being exchanged in that confined space! And seriously, did everyone in Chicago wait till the last minute this year?! Truth be told, I ended up deciding to just tell Chris how I feel instead of fighting the crowd in aisle three for a card and probably catching a cold in the process. Empty handed I left. Luckily, my valentine couldn't care less about receiving an official card- one of the things I *love* about him.

For the rest of the day, the babies were fussy, Colin was testing boundaries, everyone had a hard time going to bed and it became one of those days you just. get. through.

While Chris was upstairs settling the babies to bed, I was getting something out of the hutch for Colin  and found our somewhat cheesy valentine's day table runner. Oops, I'd forgotten all about it. Later, after all the kids were finally asleep, I found a bag filled with valentine's day napkins and other things that I'd bought weeks ago and then forgotten about.



For a moment I felt really sad. I know we didn't have to use the heart napkins, or eat around the Valentine's Day runner, or make special projects, but I'd wanted to. I was excited to share that with my kids. And now the day was over and it was too late.

Or was it?

There is no rule book saying you can only make Valentines on the 14th, or only use heart napkins on that one day, right?? My boys don't even read a calendar yet or go to school (lucky for me in these situations!).

So we got up on Wednesday and we celebrated Valentine's Day. We ate off the special heart napkins, threw around the word "love" a little more than usual, sat around the table with the cheesy runner and made our own valentines.




Yup, our Valentines Day Wednesday was lovely. There was a little extra spark of love in the air and macaroni covered hearts decorating the walls.


The rest of our week has been a whirlwind, which is why I didn't get a chance to to post this until now. Lots of stuff in the works for the Miller family, exciting and scary all at the same time. On a fun note, lots of birthdays are coming up too! All of my guys have birthdays in March!

No comments: