Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chicago Blizzard of 2011!


Well, the predictions were correct. We got pounded with snow starting mid day yesterday, lasting through the night until mid day today. 
I loved every minute of it. 

My dad arrived tuesday morning on a train from michigan. He's here to help all week and I couldn't be more grateful! 

My brother Gavin trekked over through the storm with his dogs to hunker down with us. We made pot pies, watched The Good Wife and peered out the window in awe of all the snow piling up. 
At one point thunder snow began. Before last night I didn't even know what thunder snow was!

I awoke the next morning to find little c in our bed but no Chris. Just as I looked out our bedroom window I saw him trudging through the snow headed to work. 
He's crazy.
And dedicated.



We had our own little winter wonderland of fun that morning, Pop-Pop, Uncle Gavin, Colin and I. Colin was LOVING shoveling. Just couldn't get enough. Such a little worker bee, he is. In fact, he was pretty mad at mom for making him come inside after an hour. 
Afterward, little c and I cuddled up and took an almost 4 hour nap.
It was wonderful.

When Chris got home that night, he couldn't wait to get out and shovel! I tried explaining to him that Dad and Gavin had already cleared our front and back walkway, and wouldn't he rather relax and watch t.v. in the basement?? Nope, he just had to get out there and shovel SOMETHING.

 I sat on the stairs by the window and watched him work.
I realized something so clearly.

In so many ways Chris is a grown up version of our son. They're workers and they enjoy the satisfaction of getting out there and getting it done. Interestingly enough, Chris's father grew up working on his families farm in North Dakota. He fondly remembers driving the tracker around the farm at an age that might surprise most people (it did me!). His grandfather did the same. 
Some people don't enjoy that physical type of work (moi, for example).
The Miller boys thrive on it.









No comments: