Saturday, November 20, 2010

If you're not shopping second hand.....

Today was pretty much the most productive day I've had in 16 weeks! Wohoo!

Today was my last day of work, which was both sad as well as liberating. It was sad to say goodbye to the amazing families and kiddos that I've been working with on saturdays, but also liberating because now I'm able to totally devote my weekends to getting ready for the babies and spending precious time with my little man and husband.

Then after work, my husband and I went to a local baby consignment shop here in the city. If you live in the chicago area, it's called Once Upon a Child and you should totally check it out.

I have to admit that at first, the idea of buying used stuff for my babies kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I love borrowing and trading stuff with girlfriends however, not knowing who exactly used the items prior to my precious babies.... well, I just wasn't sure how I felt about it. So I was sharing these thoughts with a very stylish, smart and savvy friend of mine and fellow mom of multiples and she stopped me dead in my tracks to say, "Jessica, I buy EVERYTHING for the boys from consignment shops!" It's the best secret out there. That was the tipping point that sold me on the idea of scoring second hand items. So today my husband and I hit the consignment shop and let me tell you we made a haul! Seriously, we got two swings, three bouncy seats, and a baby monitor for the price of one of the swings at babies r us. It felt amazing..... and I also suddenly feel smarter than all those other moms still shopping at the high end pricey stores down the street. Suckers!

Truthfully, when I had my first baby, I was that way. I wanted everything to be just perfect and all his baby gear to either be brand new or from friends. I shopped at boutiques in Chicago, and spent a lot of money filling his nursery with beautiful things. And guess what? He didn't care. He just wanted me, my milk, and my love. And he probably spit up on all those high end items.

In the end, babies don't care about that stuff. This time around, I don't even know yet where the triplets will sleep, but I know we'll find a place..... Probably in a second hand pack n play. They won't care.

We ended the day by building a new headboard for our new KING size bed that should arrive shortly.... more about that in a later blog with pictures to follow..... but yes, me and my preggo belly were on the floor constructing a headboard..... I have pictures to prove it!

Not a bad day for a preggo mommy of triplets. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go collapse in bed.

No comments: