Monday, November 22, 2010

I may be the only mom HAPPY to hear her child up way past his bedtime

Yesterday I hitched a ride back to michigan, to hang with my parents until Thanksgiving. Chris stayed back to... you guessed it..... work on the house! The story of our life these days.

The good part about the car trip was that Colin slept almost the WHOLE WAY and therefore didn't make a fuss at all- almost 4 hours. The bad part was that he slept the whole way and I knew that meant he'd be up late. I on the other hand, hadn't slept a wink and was exhausted from the trip.

So while I went to bed, my dad stayed up with colin. When I left them, they were both sitting side by side on the couch watching a football game.

As I drifted off to sleep I could hear the two of them downstairs laughing and cheering and just having the best time together. It sounded like two old friends reconnecting. Never mind that one is 20 months and the other is 62 years old.

I can't put into words how much that makes my heart smile. When my dad got sick I'd often fall asleep just hoping and praying that he'd be around to influence my children the way he's influenced me. And now I get to fall asleep hearing it happen.

What a blessing.


No comments: