Monday, August 30, 2010

nap wars


I am so beside myself.

I have been trying to help little c get back on his nap schedule for what seems like an eternity. With all the guests we've had, I haven't been AS consistently diligent as I should be BUT none the less, we've tried.

Anyway, this morning, I planned a super fun, toddler exhausting morning of activities to get him all nice and tired for nap time. We also just installed blackout blinds in his bedroom and c had gotten up extra early- 6:00 a.m. Let's just say that when nap time rolled around I was feeling cautiously optimistic. We started the nap routine the same as bedtime. We cuddle with c in his room, in his rocking chair and we start to read one of his favorite books. Colin fell asleep within two pages! I knew he was exhausted!

But, as soon as I put him in his crib, he screamed. And screamed, and screamed. I knew for certain that if I just held him and napped with him in my bed, that he'd fall asleep and sleep for a long time. Believe me that was tempting! But I feel like he needs to also get back in the routine of sleeping in his own bed, at a consistent time.

So I stuck with it.

I tried everything. I tried going in every 10 minutes and reassuring him that I love him and I'm just downstairs. I tried letting him cry for a short period which was heart wrenching; I just sat on the steps and cried myself. At one point, I even tried rocking him again and sure enough, he fell RIGHT asleep. But then, during the transfer into his crib, he woke up. More mad then ever.

I feel like such a bad mom. Why can't I get my kiddo to nap? He's exhausted for sure. He was up at 6:15 and went to the pool, the park and errands with me all morning. I'm exhausted! He's gotta be.

Finally, I laid down on the floor next to the crib (this is after seriously toying with the idea of actually crawling into the crib with him). I showed him pictures off my phone and slowly he laid down, and finally fell asleep.

Exhausted myself, I headed into my room to try and catch a quick nap before tackling more laundry. I was SURE that this exhausted kiddo was going to sleep a long time.

Nope

He was up just 45 minutes later!

What?!?!

How is he not exhausted?!?!

I tried to focus on the positive. He at least took a short nap in his bed. So I scooped him up and we went downstairs. Just as I was preparing his chicken nuggets dinner, I noticed him climb up on the couch. And then this happened:




NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am half laughing at the complete ridiculousness of this situation. Half, dare I say, impressed with his determination to stand his ground, "I will NOT sleep in my bed Mommy! Even if I have to sleep sitting up!" But mostly I'm just ready to pull my hair out.

I keep thinking of Jerry McGuire pleading, "Help me, help you!!!"

Because seriously little c, if you would just take a nap in the middle of the day, you would feel so much better and we could play the whole rest of the afternoon.

Please! I'm begging you!





No comments: