Monday, April 13, 2015

Wild Friday Nights and Random Acts of Kindness



I just bought the boys each a new game for the Leap Pads in the hopes that I could have maybe 30 minutes to take a break. What. A. Week. It. Has. Been!

Last week, the stars seemed to align indicating it was time to start weaning Owen as well as moving him to a toddler bed (just trust me, it made sense for why both were happening at about the same time). It was going well, but then right in the middle of this process Chris got as sick as I've probably ever seen him! Body aches, horrible cold, fever, chills..... he's hardly left our bed in four days.

Which means that the boys and I have spent a lot of quality time together and helping Owen adjust to this new stage has fallen entirely on me :-)

On Friday night, in an effort to pass the time between 5 pm and 8 pm (bedtime!) and avoid cooking dinner/ messing up the kitchen, the boys and I hit up Kohl's and Panera Bread for dinner.

After dinner, an older man who had been sitting with friends at the table next to us, bought us all dessert to take home! He waved "goodbye" to the boys, seemed to leave, but then walked back to our table with a big Panera bag filled with dessert. He said some really kind, encouraging words to me which made me tear up, and then said he thought the boys and I deserved some dessert. "God Bless your family" he said as he walked away.

I mean seriously!!...... I can't even tell you what a difference that simple, kind gesture has made in our whole weekend. It really uplifted us. This man had no idea the doozy of a week we've had, all he saw was a mom out with five little boys and thought we could use some dessert.

I'll tell you what, I've been on the receiving end of quite a few random acts of kindness since moving to Michigan. They've always occurred when I've been out with the boys (ha!) and every single act of kindness has impacted me greatly. People in West Michigan are really good, kind people.

Since the boys have observed random acts of kindness towards us before, they know the deal. We always pay it forward.

"Mom, we're going to have to think of what we're going to do nice for someone else now!" Colin said as we drove away.

Yes we are!

Kohl's baby!



Heading home with our special dessert in hand :)





No comments: