Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Our Brave Little Boy

If you follow us on Instagram, you know we made it to Florida! I wrote a blog post about our trip but haven't had a chance to add pictures yet, so I'll post it at a later time.

So far, we've had some wonderful experiences here, like soaking up the sun, swimming in the pool for hours on end, and searching for shells on the beach. However, the experience I wish we could somehow rewind and have not happen, is that on day two of our trip- Sunday evening- Owen's finger got caught in the hinge of a pack n play and it literally almost severed the end of his finger off. It was horrible, to say the least. As you can imagine, Owen was hysterical and although there was lots of blood, I was trying to tell myself, maybe it wasn't that bad. Chris knew it was bad. When we carefully pulled back the towel that we'd immediately wrapped his hand in, it was clear that we needed to head straight to the ER.

Visiting the Fort Myers ER was certainly not on our list of things to do here, but the doctors and nurses at this hospital took such incredibly good care of him..... and us. I was so worried, because first, my baby was in excruciating pain and then also because his finger seemed so injured, I couldn't imagine how it could be repaired.

But they were wonderful and skilled. When it came time to numb his finger and start the stitches, they warned us that he'd likely be very upset and that they'd likely have to hold him down because this was almost always the case with kids his age. However, somehow by the grace of God, Owen just sat in my lap, and calmly watched the whole process. Heck, I couldn't watch the whole process! But he did. They stitched his finger back together and re-attached his nail. I was amazed.

So, no swimming or digging in the sand for Owen this trip. It's such a bummer because he loves the pool and the sand and also because that's pretty much what there is to do here! But we know things could be worse. It's very sobering to realize how accidents can happen in a blink.

Today we had to go back to the hospital for a follow-up, to change his bandage and check the wound. Things are healing but it will take awhile and we'll follow up with specialists once we get home. Today took hours at the hospital and I'm so thankful to have my parents here as they entertained the boys to no end while Chris and I were with Owen.

He's a brave little boy, this one.

After Motrin, but waiting for stitches. 

Starting the stitches

 Heading home and pretty tuckered out. 

The amazing staff said they were so impressed with him that they gave him this bear to take home.... which he's calling "dog". Owen has never attached to a luvie or stuffed animal, like his brothers all did, but the past two days he has been carrying "dog" around with him everywhere. :-)

No comments: