Thursday, May 29, 2014

Owen Turns One!


The bros with the birthday boy! This blue car is his favorite mode of transportation lately.
Owen turned one on Monday! Although our families weren't able to make it (see previous post), the thing about having five kids is that it's always a party around here. :)

The older boys were so excited for Owen's birthday party! Since Owen doesn't need any more toys, (seriously, this kid has more toys than he could ever want for!), we floated the idea of having the boys regift toys they've outgrown. To our surprise the boys loved this idea, even suggesting that they regift their old "pretend" tools, since now that they're three, three, three and five years old, they no longer need "pretend" tools. It's real drills and saws from here on out! (if you think I'm joking. I'm not!)

All on their own, they carried up the box of pretend tools and with great care (and A LOT of tape), they wrapped up gifts for him. Watching this whole process unfold was such a treat for me because I feel like I spend so much of my days helping them negotiate disagreements over toys! But there they all were, working together and sharing! It gave me hope :)


Colin and Carter helped me bake cupcakes and we made this cream cheese frosting which was ridiculously yummy. Then I made pizza while watching the boys and Chris play in the bounce house in the backyard.

It was a really beautiful day, in every sense of the word.  



Owen, at one:


-You love to eat. So much so, that when I asked the boys if we should have a theme for your party, Finn said, "I know! Food! Because he loves food!" It's true. (Side note: he's the first baby that I did Baby led weaning with and knowing what I know now, I would have approached food in this way with all my boys. He's never had one jar of baby food. To me, baby led weaning was easier, less expensive, more nutritious and has developed his palate in an amazing way. He will eat ANYTHING.)

- I think you are the spitting image of your Daddy and your Daddy thinks that you look like me. Time will tell! Maybe you will be a good mix of both of us.

- You are a cuddle bug. From the start, you snuggled in and to this day you love to be held, and to nurse. We rock on the front porch and watch the boys play in the yard- I love those moments with you.

- You've adjusted to your crib and will start there but always, always end up with Mommy and Daddy. Again, the snuggle bug thing.

- You can say "Mama" and "Dada" and say it a lot!

- You love to watch your brothers doing whatever they're doing. Its' pretty cool to see how you watch them so intently.

We're good buddies you and I.

Every single day since the moment you were born, I've looked at you at some point in the day and thought about how thankful I am for you. You have completed our family in the most amazing way.




Chris happened to be behind the camera when the pictures were taken! Oops! But here is one of my favorite pictures of the two of them. The first time Chris held Owen. 





No comments: