Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Mother's Day Wish


Hanging with Finn and Carter today

Chris asked what I wanted to do on Mother's Day.

Maybe spend time with the littles and do stuff as a family? Well.... maybe... but what I really wanted more than anything?

A break!

To sleep in, to watch a t.v. show in bed (I can't remember the last time I've done that), to exercise and/ or to write. I love when I can somehow carve out a block of time where it's just me, a cup of coffee and my computer waiting for me to type in my thoughts. However, this rarely happens these days. 

So Chris got up with the boys this morning and I slept in, really late. It felt so weird to sleep in... but good I guess. Then Colin told me he had a surprise for me out on the deck. When I walked out I saw breakfast sandwiches from our favorite neighborhood coffee shop and a card on the table. 

"Ta- DAAAAA!" he said while throwing his arms in the air. I'm not sure where he heard/ saw that done but it cracked me up. 

We ate our sandwiches in the warm sun and I opened the Winnie the Pooh card that he picked out and decorated for me on behalf of his brothers, "All by myself!" He was so proud.

It was lovely.

Then the babies got up and they needed diaper changes, then they were hungry, the Colin was hungry, then we realized we were out of some staples for the kids, including milk, so I ran to Target. By the time I got back, the babies needed diaper changes again and then they were tired and ready for bed. Colin also seemed exhausted and even asked to go up to bed! 

Chris left to pick up food for a picnic that we're planning later with the boys and suddenly the house was QUIET. Just me and a home full of napping children. 

I moved fast. This was my opportunity!

I opened the living room windows all the way to let the warm breeze blow in, re-heated my cup of coffee sat down here:




Doesn't it look inviting??

I opened up a blank screen and started to write. 

Just two words... before I heard,

Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump

and then,

"Mommy, Daddy! I'm UP! I can't sleep! Where are you MommyDaddy?? MommyDaddy?!?" (Sometimes Colin says both our names together almost like we are one person which makes me laugh)

He runs in to where I've literally JUST sat down to write and explains that he can't sleep and he's hungry and also "Will you wipe my butt?"


And 'Me time' is officially over.....

Happy Mother's Day! I hope that all you mother's out there were able to steal some time for yourselves, if only a few minutes!









No comments: