Thursday, April 12, 2012

Saws, hammers and drills, oh my!

Colin: "Mommy, I want you to read me books tonight."

Me: "No problem."

Sometimes Chris takes Colin to bed, sometimes I do. Tonight, he wanted me and I was happy to oblige

He climbs into bed and I lift a pile of books that happens to be lying on the floor, onto the bed.


Me: "What should we start with?"

Colin: "The working book."

Me: "Okay, great!" I pull out this book, about trucks in a construction site, assuming this is the one he means. Side note: this is a GREAT book. If you have a pre-school age little guy (or girl!) who is interested in trucks, you won't be disappointed!

Colin: "No, silly mommy. THIS book."

And he grabs this off Chris's nightstand:


The front of the magazine advertises gripping articles such as  "Choosing the best backerboard for tile work" and "Who makes the best circular saw?"

-Deep breath-

I can read this book. I'm cool like that. I know my saws and what nots...

okay really I was doubting myself and expecting Colin to re-consider having asked me to read to him. I almost expected him to say, "Never mind mommy. Go get Daddy!"

But the thing I've learned about being a parent is that whenever you feel out of your comfort zone, your child will show you how to be. 

And he did. He guided me through and before I knew it I was reading 'Fine Homebuilding' like I'd been doing it my whole life (well, sort of...not really). But he seemed satisfied.

Motherhood pushes my comfort zone. In big ways and little ways... every. single. day.

Luckily, I have my kids to guide me.

No comments: