Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankful, Hopeful, Prayerful.



I have much to be thankful for this year.


My family, friends, faith and of course, my boys.

Chris, Colin, Carter, Everett and Finley

Lunchtime!
and our sweet Olive, who is sooooo good to all of us.



This year I'm especially thankful for modern medicine. From the researchers and chemists working behind the scenes to the doctors, nurses and many other staff who work tirelessly and with dedication, even on holidays, to bring care to those who really need it. 

If you happen to be one of those people, I sincerely thank you. 

In truth, this Thanksgiving was a mixed bag for me. This one will be remembered as part of the year we were blessed beyond our wildest imaginations. The year we've watched Colin grow more into his awesome little self and gave him THREE brothers to grow literally side by side with. We have terrific kids that bless us with their vibrant personalities every day.

This Thanksgiving will also be remembered as the day my Dad was so deep in the valley of sickness from his transplant (his 3rd), that he was admitted to the hospital. The Thanksgiving that my dad's temperature was way too high, and the Thanksgiving that it hit me, he really does have cancer. And it sucks.


I'm writing this post with Finn wrapped to my body, his fuzzy little baby hair against my lips as I type. 

He can't sleep.

He smells so good. 

Having him wrapped to me is like getting a constant hug.... which tonight I welcome.

We just put our tree up. It's fake but it's beautiful. 

Christmas music is playing over pandora and every now and again Finn pulls his head back to look at me and smile. Like he's just double checking I'm still here.

I keep picturing my Dad and I out to breakfast at our favorite spot. It's where we've had so many brunches and great talks. It's the place he'd order from and bring me when I was on bed rest with the triplets, huge and and hungry and unable to move. He took such good care of me.

I can see us there, laughing and talking and looking back on his transplant. The transplant is behind him and he's healthy and the myeloma is undetectable. 

That will be a great morning. 

Oct 2011





No comments: