Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Evening swim anyone?




For whatever reason, it was suddenly almost 6 pm and we hadn't even made it to the beach yet.

I can't even tell you where the day went but I felt terrible because Colin had his swimsuit on all day just waiting to go swimming with Chris.

Ugh.

I often feel like I'm performing a high stakes game of juggling and the balls in the air are the needs of Colin, each of the babies, Chris, myself, our family, our home, our marriage...
 It's a constant juggling act and some days I feel more like I'm failing than succeeding. Like the balls are just flying everywhere and I can't even keep one in the air.

This was one of those days.

We needed time together as a family and we needed to get to the beach, even if it was the triplets bedtime.

So, we packed everybody up and crossed the street to the beach.

As a side note, I type, we packed everybody up very casually as if it's something you just do in a matter of minutes. But for us packing everybody up is like packing to go on a mini trip. Diapers, sweatshirts, blankets, water bottle, wipes, pacifiers, towels, large blanket for the babies to lay on, baby carriers, hats, wine....

You know what? Although up past their bedtime, the babies were fine. They fell asleep to the lapping of the waves and the warm evening breeze. I sat with my toes in the cool sand and watched Chris and Colin dig in the sand and splash in the water.

For a moment life was still.

When the wave splashing was over, Colin announced he was "COLD MAMA!!" and so back across the street we went to tuck our little men in bed.

Foregoing the sleep schedule, taking one hour to pack three bags for the beach, and cool evening swimming?

So worth it.














No comments: